Rich history, friendly hospitality and splendid scenery provide the backdrop for a vacation full of surprising discoveries and one-of-a-kind wonders in this slender riverside region.
6 Regional Favorites:
- West Virginia Independence Hall: In Wheeling, visit the courtroom where West Virginia came to be the nation’s 35th state.
- Oglebay Resort: Enjoy many kid-friendly attractions, including Schrader Environmental Education Center, the Good Zoo, a planetarium and aqua cycling on Schenk Lake.
- Grave Creek Mound Archaeological Center: This spot in Moundsville is named for the largest Adena burial mound. The adjacent Delf Norona Museum offers exhibits and interpretation.
- Grand Vue Park: While in Moundsville, take a three-hour zip line canopy tour, splash in the pool, go geo-caching, play disc golf and more.
- Homer Laughlin China Company: Schedule a tour at the 134-year-old home of Fiesta, America’s favorite collectible dinnerware.
- Alexander Campbell Mansion: In Bethany, visit the home of a progressive educator and religious leader who founded Bethany College.
More in Northern Panhandle
Once an industrial crossroads, Wheeling is now a hub for history and entertainment. Its historic architecture includes Victorian mansions, the Wheeling Suspension Bridge and restored performance halls like Capitol Theatre, home of the Wheeling Symphony Orchestra.
Start the day at Centre Cup Coffee in Wheeling’s 1853 Centre Market. At lunchtime, a Coleman’s fish sandwich is worth the wait. The area’s Italian heritage also shines at Undo’s, DiCarlo’s Pizza and other eateries.
For vacations, meetings, shopping and golf, Oglebay Resort is the region’s premier destination. For gaming action, visit Wheeling Island Hotel, Casino & Racetrack and Mountaineer Racetrack, Casino & Resort in Chester.
All along the Northern Panhandle, small towns hold unique attractions like Moundsville’s former West Virginia Penitentiary, the tiny Sistersville Ferry, the world’s largest teapot in Chester, the Palace of Gold near Cameron and ThistleDew Farm in Proctor.