Ease into the most enjoyable vacation in a gentle landscape of peaceful farmsteads, handcrafted beauty, homemade cuisine and winding byways with history at every turn.
6 Regional Favorites
As you explore the Mid-Ohio Valley, check out these favorite places:
- Blennerhassett Island State Historical Park: Hear a fascinating true story of intrigue and tragedy during a tour of the reconstructed Blennerhassett Mansion.
- North Bend Rail Trail: This 72-mile section of the coast-to-coast American Discovery Trail passes by North Bend State Park, a tranquil West Virginia gem.
- Cedar Lakes Crafts Center: Offering year-round craft programs for all ages, this facility in Ripley also is the setting for West Virginia’s popular annual Mountain State Art & Craft Fair.
- Stone Road Vineyard: This family vineyard near Elizabeth offers a dozen wines and a panoramic view.
- Chestnut Ridge Artist Colony: Tour woodworking, jewelry and blacksmithing studios (by appointment) at this art co-op in Spencer.
- Holl’s Chocolates: In Vienna, savor the Truffle of the Month from an authentic Swiss chocolatier.
More in the Mid-Ohio Valley
Parkersburg, the hub of this region, is a cultured city of museums and noteworthy architecture. Tour the sumptuous Julia-Ann Square Historic District or stay at the venerable Blennerhassett Hotel. Visit one of several art and history museums and be sure to ride the sternwheeler to Blennerhassett Island State Historical Park.
Lively Spencer is known for its annual Black Walnut Festival, arts and handcrafts. Throughout the region, other small towns offer ample pleasures for seekers of antiques and crafts. The Mid-Ohio Valley boasts three beautifully restored theaters in Parkersburg, Spencer and Ripley – and seven wineries and distilleries thrive in this region.
Take to the trails or launch a boat at Charles Fork Lake. Hike, walk or ride your horse on the North Bend Rail Trail. Picnic, play and paddle a kayak at Mountwood Park. Go birding at McDonough Wildlife Refuge. Hunt or fish at several wildlife management areas in the region.